With the cold, snow, and ice out of the way, it is time to reclaim your outdoor space with some spring gardening and?residential landscaping?as you prepare your home for summer or resale. In fact, reports suggest that landscape design can increase the resale value of your home by as much as 20 percent, provide an ROI of over 50 percent, and make your home sell faster.
If you are looking to sell your home, experts argue that you should invest about 10 percent of the total value of your home in landscaping. Even if you have no intention of selling your home, you can still?add a dose of charm to your yard?with these simple spring landscaping ideas.
- Planting Shrubs or Trees. You can plant one tree or shrub or as many as your yard can handle, taking into consideration the correct spacing for a mature tree. Planting a single tree can provide you with a nice shaded area that you can enjoy in the years to come.Taking care of several trees is not very involved, as long as you provide basic care, which includes watering, trimming, mulching, leaf and branch removal, and for fruit trees, fertilizing. However, you should make sure to choose shrubs or trees that offers the greatest aesthetic value, in terms of shape, colour, and even texture. A good choice for nearly all climates is the Japanese maple, which can enliven any landscape with its colour and form. Other common options include eastern red cedar, northern red oak, and Colorado blue spruce.
- Colourful Mulch. Since most yards already have a few trees, plants and a lush lawn, you can easily add colour and texture by applying mulch. For instance, mulch in a dark, roasted coffee bean colour can offer a beautiful contrast to a green lawn. For a landscape featuring flat lawns and well trimmed low shrubs, you may consider introducing some pine cones to add texture.Other interesting mulch colours for giving life to your bland landscape include cedar, gold, red and even black. It?s easy and cheap to add mulch to your landscape. Simply choose a colour and texture, dump it on your garden, spread it evenly, and leave it. However, mulching should be done away from the house and other structures, as it can hide insects and trap moisture that rots wooden surfaces.
- Clear Garden Pathways and Fencing. A neat yard can make a huge difference for the beauty of your landscape. If you have overgrown shrubs or flowers that seem to be spilling over from the garden beds and onto the walkways, then edging could help to perk up the landscape. You could also do some pruning and cutting just to restore order.You could go a step further to mark the boundaries of your garden and walkways in a creative way. You can use large rocks, bottles planted neck down, or some other item that is readily available, provided they go the entire path. Alternatively, you can plant low-maintenance groundcovers, such as vinca, pachysandra, lamb?s ears, or lily of the valley to add colour and texture to the walkways.
- Outdoor Lighting. Installing fancy outdoor lighting can dramatically enhance the appeal of your landscape without breaking the bank. Proper outdoor lighting will allow you extend your outside activities even after the sun sets. Lighting can also increase the security of your home, help to accent the beauty of your garden and lawn, and make your home more marketable and attractive to prospective buyers.
- Creating a Focal Point. Residential landscaping ideas can be inspired by your own passions and desires. You can discuss your design ideas with a skilled and experienced contractor to find ways to bring your vision to life, and create a focal point that is meaningful to you.For instance, you can choose to install a statue, fountain, pond, patio, or anything else that will give you pleasure every time you look at your lawn. Water features such as hot tubs and swimming pools can also blend into the natural landscape. Decks and patios are the most common landscape installations because they increase the value of your home by about 12 percent. These projects are quite expensive, so it is important that you hire a skilled contractor who will maximize the comfort and beauty of your outdoor space and ensure that everything harmonizes with the landscape.
With landscape design being so visual, it can be easier to look at a series of projects or specific landscape design features. Photos of Landscaping Ideas can be found in the gallery at Infinity Gardens Landscaping in Calgary.
Spring residential landscaping can mean the difference between selling your home sooner and at a greater profit, and waking up to the same bland landscape through spring and summer. There are many different ways to improve your outdoor space, depending on your design needs and budget. Whatever softscapes and hardscapes you choose to invest in, make sure that you work with a skilled landscape professional who can bring your vision to life within your budget.